Fun fact, I work in media and advertising, TV specifically. While multitudes of media outlets are touting the downfall of television, the fact is that more and more original television (aka video) content is being produced every year from networks. This rising number of original shows gives consumers so much more content to watch and so many more options. There is literally something out there for everyone…and yet, I don’t really watch television.
Why? I am not really sure. I think it’s a combination of not being able to afford the expensive satellite/cable bills and also believing that my time would be better spent on other things…like writing or reading (or even running).
I know what you’re thinking. How can I work so closely to the television industry and not actually watch television? Great question! My boss asks me the same question regularly. It’s unfathomable that I would be able to give recommendations on television shows that I have never even watched, but SURPRISE! It’s still possible.
My best asset: Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is useful in a multitude of ways, it actually makes me remember the story of guessing the weight of the ox. Not one person got it right, but after aggregating all the guesses, the average was almost right on the dot. I feel this way about Wikipedia. Some people might see it as completely unreliable, which to be honest, is a fair assessment as it is crowdsourced and anybody could edit it. But the fact that it IS crowd sourced is the most appealing part. More brains are better than one.
Using Wikipedia, I can look up any show and even shows that typically require a separate subscription from regular cable like HBO or Showtime. I know the plotlines and storylines of the biggest hits on television from Mr. Robot to The Walking Dead to Game of Thrones, you name it. I love reading through each episode, love reading each recap, it’s like reading a super condensed novel.
I understand the characters, I understand their motivations and I feel their struggles…all without actually watching the show. I can vividly picture scenes and scenarios. They might not play out in my head the way that they play out in the actual show, but that’s alright with me. I can still talk shop with anyone about it 95% of the time and the other 5%…fake it ‘til I make it!
Does anybody else out there do this? It is one of my favorite pastimes 🙂